Thursday, June 1, 2017

Supporting Gatlinburg businesses on Memorial Day Weekend

     When you visit Gatlinburg for a few days, you probably have your favorite businesses, restaurants, and attractions you like to visit. You probably also like to try to sneak a visit into some new places if you can. This is what we done over Memorial Day Weekend, visit some favorites and go to a few places that we haven't been to before.
      Friday night, we had to go to one of the newest restaurants in Gatlinburg, Mama's Chicken Kitchen.  They serve the same famous fried chicken from Mama's Farmhouse in Pigeon Forge, but served up by the plate or by the bucket. My wife and I both decided to order the two piece meal which comes with two sides and a biscuit w homemade jam. The hard part was deciding which sides we wanted. I went with the mashed potatoes & gravy and cream style corn. My wife chose the slaw and Mac & cheese.  We were both pleased with our choices and the chicken was, of course, delicious!  We will definitely be going back!



Afterwards we went to the nearby grocery store,  Food City, to pick up a few drinks and random things to last us for the weekend. We love going to Food City! It has anything you could need for the place your staying while visiting. They also have friendly employees and good prices.
     Saturday, we got up and headed straight to what has become one of our favorite places to eat breakfast,  Trish's Mountain Diner.  My wife ordered her favorite,  a ham & cheese omlet with mushrooms added, toast, and breakfast potatoes.  I usually get something different each time and this time was no exception.  I got a bologna biscuit and a ham biscuit with one scrambled egg on the side. Delicious! 

Afterwards,  we made a quick stop by a local farmers market they have on Saturday mornings at the Covered Bridge in the Glades (In the Arts & Crafts community). There I purchased a couple packs of orange cosmos seeds from a vendor to give to my mother for her to plant in her flower garden. 
Next, we quickly made our way to downtown Gatlinburg so we could take a ride on the Sky Lift that had just reopened. It was supposed to rain later that day, so we didnt want to miss the chance to ride it!
On the way up, you get a harsh reminder of the fire that took place by seeing the chard remains of the trees and stumps below. The view going down, however, is breathtaking!  Pictures and words can't describe how beautiful the scenery is! If there's only one thing you do while in Gatlinburg,  I'd recommend this being it!




Next we walked down to the Mountain Mall. There my wife found a dry oil lotion that she really liked from The Scented Willow, which is a newer store that has opened in the mall.
After that purchase we walked straight to Tennessee Homemade Wines. I'm not the biggest fan of wine, but I really liked a blackberry wine my wife had bought the last time. With that in mind, I decided to sample a few others they offered. I quickly became a fan of not only the blackberry, but also the strawberry,  blueberry,  and peach! Perhaps it wasn't that I didn't like wine, but mabey I just hadn't tried the right kind from the right place. We ended up taking advantage of the buy 5 get 1 free deal. It was all so good, so why not...right?
As we headed back to 
Calhoun's Village, where we parked, we made one last stop. I ran in the Smoky Mountain Brewery to pick up a six pack of my favorite beer for the rest of the weekend, the Black Bear Ale. After leaving there we made a quick stop by Stillwater Cold Brew Coffee Co to get a couple of bottles of what I consider to be the best coffee I've ever had. We then went back to the place we were staying and got settled in for a night of fun with our neighbors and newly made friends.


Sunday we spent the day in Pigeon Forge,  but on the way back we stopped at Three Jimmy's and got a Hawaiian Pizza to go. It was ready in no time and very delicious!  Next time we'll probably just eat in. That way we can also try out some appetizers and possibly a drink or two.

Monday,  as we headed out there was one more place me wanted to try. We stopped at Mad Dog's Creamery and Donuts and got a few donuts for the road. My wife decided on the apple fritter and I opted for a plain glazed and one called the chocolate dream. They were very good, but next time I go I'll just get two or three of the chocolate dreams, as they were awesome!



This wrapped up our Memorial Day Weekend in Gatlinburg! There's no other way we would have rather spent it than getting out and supporting Gatlinburg, the people, and the businesses that have been through so much in the past several months!

Keep checking back as another blog will be posted soon!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestion on The Scented Willow. The dry lotion is awesome. Wish I had more time to visit the other places that you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! My wife is really enjoying hers! Thanks for the read!

      Delete